|dc.description.abstract||From the study the following knowledge was gained:
For Christians and Muslims-marriage originates from God as a means to complement the opposite sexes in psychological and physical comfort. Marriage is also a means of gaining spiritul blessings.
In the hadiths, the Prophet command all Muslims to marry and produce children to populate the lands.
- In Augustine’s text, virginity ranked higher than marriage in God’s kingdom. Christ was an example of a celibate priest who dedicated his life in doing pastoral mission on earth according to the will of the Father in heaven.
In the hadith marriage between two opposite sexes can be contracted anywhere without no specific religious ceremony, however, the presences of atleast two witnesses is required.
- In Augustine’s text, marriage is a sacrament that can only be contracted in the church before a priest, and with a solemn vow of faithfulness.
In the Hadith, a sane man could divorce his wife and vice/versa if either of the partner fail to satisfy the other.
- In Augustine’s text, marriage is indissoluble. Even in bad times couples cannot separate from each other for whatsoever reason.
Islam permits polygamous marriage, a kind of practice that allow men to marry upto four women at a time.
- In Augustine’s text, a man and a woman are sacramentally bound together in marriage untill death seperate them.
In the Hadith a man may have concubines e.g., sexual relations with his slave woman.
- In Augustine’s text, a man can only have one sexual partner e.g., his wife only.||et